Halibut has to be my all time favorite white fish and is great for the not-so-fish-friendly person you are entertaining. I call halibut a “beginner fish” because it’s not oily and does not have an overpowering fish quality like most. I always ask the non-fish eaters out there if they like chicken strips. When they say yes I tell them they have to try halibut fish and chips. It also has to be fresh too. When building a dish with halibut I always want to introduce components like butter, avocado or cream because Halibut is such a lean fish. This month I want to tantalize your taste buds with one of my favorite Halibut dishes that bring together local asparagus with halibut.
Seared Halibut with Asparagus Cream
4-6oz Pieces Halibut
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup white wine
1 small shallot sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cream
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed chopped
1 bunch parsley, Italian, rough chopped
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
- Make sure your halibut is nice and dry and then season on both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in refrigerator while making the rest.
- Add white wine, shallot, bay leaf, and thyme to heavy saucepan. Cook until wine is almost fully evaporated.
- Add cream and cook for 5 minutes. Remove thyme and bay leaf.
- Add asparagus and parsley and cook for 3 minutes or until asparagus is blanched but not overcooked.
- Place in blender and blend until smooth. Strain through fine mesh or cheesecloth.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and white pepper.
- Heat large fry pan to medium heat.
- Add halibut pretty side down and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip over and cook for another 1-3 minutes depending on thickness.
- Pour asparagus crème on plate and top with halibut and oil cured tomatoes.
Oil Cured Tomatoes
(Makes 2 Cups)
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
1 small shallot, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 sprig thyme
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Pinch coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250° degrees F.
- Place ALL items in a large bowl and toss gently.
- Add to a small oven safe pan and cover with foil.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
Best if refrigerated overnight after cooking. Still bring to room temperature before serving.