You will ALWAYS find one ingredient in my professional and home kitchen; the god of the citrus world, the amazing, tart and delicious lemon. I use lemons in almost all my cooking and cocktails. Sometimes I overuse it in a gin and tonic and then give a little spritz or zest to brighten up soup. One of the funk-tastic ways I love to use lemons is to COOK seafood. I’m talking about ceviche! You have eaten ceviche but have you ever made it at home? It is super simple and has an amazing fresh vibrant taste. This month I give you an easy-to-do ceviche recipe. Have fun and cook some seafood without using heat!!!!
*takes 24 hours to make
Makes 4-6 cups
1 # 21-25 raw prawns, black tiger preferable
½ TB salt Kosher
½ red onion, fine dice
5 Roma tomatoes, fine dice
1-2 jalapenos, deseeded, fine dice (1-2 depending on your heat preference)
½ bunch cilantro
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
Salt to taste
3 Avocadoes, diced
OPTION: 4 TB ketchup & your favorite hot sauce (we call this ceviche cocktail!)
1) Clean shrimp under cold running water and make sure the shells are taken off.
2) Cut shrimp into small pieces keeping it as uniform as possible.
3) Place the cut shrimp into a flat casserole or shallow pan. Juice 10 lemons into the pan. Add salt and stir.
4) Place plastic wrap directly on top of shrimp.
5) Leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
6) Mix again to break up all chunks. Place in refrigerator overnight.
7) Drain prawns.
8) Toss with veggies, herbs, spices, lime-juice and salt to taste.
9) Toss in the avocado last and then decide if you want to make it cocktail style or not.
10) Serve with warm tortilla chips
Chef’s Tip: Great on a salad or just eat with a spoon 😊