Being from the great state of Washington we have our share of apples. We have figured many different ways to prepare this amazing fruit. My favorite is all natural vinegar. I feel that the average cook does not use vinegar enough in their cooking. I use it to balance almost all my dishes. I love give a spritz over some smoked meat, toss with some fresh fruit and put on a salad or even a dash in a soup or a broth to round out the mouth when eating. It also has amazing health benefits that my GURU Kathy explains in her latest blog Cider Beside Her. Since we are in the holidays I am going to give you one of my favorite cocktail recipes. This cocktail has a great punch and uses fresh apples and hard cider!
The Appleseed Nightmare
1 Pint Glass
¼ Granny Smith Apple, sliced thin
Fill with ice
1 ½ Shots Cinnamon Whiskey (recipe follows)
½ Shot Brown Sugar Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
½ Lemon, Juice
¼ bottle hard cider for float
1. Set up a cutting board with a sharp paring knife and get ready to make this amazing cocktail.
2. Slice granny smith apple thin and place in the bottom of the pint glass.
3. Fill with ice packed to the top.
4. Add cinnamon whiskey (if you choose to use fireball then remove the brown sugar simple syrup from this recipe)
5. Add simple syrup and lemon juice and shake or stir depending on what bar skills you have.
6. Top with float of your favorite hard cider!
Cinnamon Whiskey –Fireball minus the sugar!
5th Whiskey (your choice)
3 Cinnamon Sticks
1. Place cinnamon sticks in whiskey bottle
2. Let sit for 24 hours
3. Strain and enjoy.
Chef’s Note: you can replace this in all your favorite fireball recipes or in hot cider!
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
½ Cup Water
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1. Place both items in a coffee cup and heat in microwave for 1½ minutes. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved and then chill.