Seafood Cioppino with wild salmon, halibut, manila clams, mussels, prawns, dungeness crab, grilled fremont sourdough
1. In a large soup pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and heat until shimmering.
2. Add carrot, celery, sweet onion, red pepper and fennel and saute until sweet onion is translucent – about 4 minutes.
3. Add garlic, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, bay leaf and crushed red pepper and fennel seed. Saute 3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, clam juice, white wine and butter. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Salt to taste. Return pot/broth to stove over medium high heat.
6. Once broth is hot, add all seafood. Cover and steam 10 minutes. Remove any clams or mussels that have not opened.
7. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve with grilled sourdough bread.