Apple and Cranberry Galette with Spiced Pecans, Apple Cider Caramel and Vanilla Ice Cream
1. In a medium bowl combine flour and salt and mix.
2. Add chilled shortening and butter and using your fingers (or fork or pastry cutter) cut the two fats into flour until you have pea size bits.
3. Slowly add water and mix until a dough forms. You may not need all the water. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.
Preheat oven 400 degrees
1. In a microwave safe bowl add Golden Delicious apples. Add a couple tablespoons water and cover with saranwrap.
2. Microwave until apples are soft. Transfer apples to a blender and puree until smooth. The mixture should be very thick. If needed, place apples in a sauce pan and simmer to remove some moisture. Reserve.
3. In a medium saute pan over medium high heat add butter. Once butter is sizzling add apples and saute 1-2 minutes. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and salt and saute until apples are ¾ cooked. They should have a little tooth left in them. Strain and save the mixture. Set apples aside. Return liquid to pan and reduce liquid to a syrup. Add the apples to syrup.
4. In a small sauce pan over medium heat add cranberries, orange juice and sugar. Cook until cranberries have popped (about 5- 7 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once 3 mixtures are cool combine together.
5. On a slightly floured surface roll pie dough to about 1/8th inch large circle. Place the filled into pie round leaving about a 3 inch border. Carefully fold the edges into the middle; leaving the center filling exposed. Slip galette onto a parchment paper covered sheet pan. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Remove from refrigerate and brush pastry with egg wash (egg white and a splash of milk) and sprinkle with raw sugar.
6. Bake for 5 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool.