1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, small dice
1 fennel bulb, small dice
2 carrots, peeled, small dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chardonnay
32 ounces chicken broth
2 each 28 ounce cans San Marzano tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup small pasta (datalini, orzo, couscous or macaroni)
1 14 ounce can garbanzo beans
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh flat Italian parsley, chopped
Salt to taste
Torn rustic bread, garnish
Olive oil, garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add sausage and olive oil and cook until sausage is brown and crumbled.
- Remove sausage with slotted spoon and put in bowl. Set aside.
- Add onion, fennel and carrot to soup pot and cook over medium heat until slightly softened. Add garlic, bay leaf and tomato paste and cook 2 minutes. Add white wine and cook 2 minutes or until wine smell is gone.
- Return cooked sausage to soup pot. Add chicken broth, canned tomatoes, celery seed, black pepper, pasta, garbanzo beans, thyme and parsley. Turn heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour.
- To serve add 4-5 pieces of torn bread to bottom of bowl. Ladle soup over top of bread and finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!!